For printable version, click here
(From the kitchen of Rose Hom)
8 eggs (room temperature)
½ cup oil
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour (optional: cake flour)
1 tsp. baking powder
½ cup water
1½ tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Separate egg yolks and egg whites. Be sure there is absolutely no yolk in the
3. Add sugar and oil to egg yolks.
4. Sift flour (optional: sift flour 3 times) & baking powder. Set aside.
5. Beat egg yolk mixture for 5 minutes at high speed.
6. Add water gradually at low speed. Then beat at high speed for 7 minutes.
7. Add almond extract at low speed.
8. Blend flour mixture gradually to yolk mixture with a wire whisk.
9. CLEAN BEATERS AND SPATULA! It is very important to get the oil off
prior to beating the egg whites.
10. Beat egg whites until foamy.
11. Add cream of tartar & beat for 5 minutes until stiff (the egg whites hold the
tunnel shape when a spatula is drawn through it).
12. Flatten air bubbles in egg yolk mixture.
13. Gently fold into egg white mixture with a spatula.
14. Pour into angel food cake pan. Do not grease or flour the pan.
15. Bake for 60 minutes. Do not overbake. Insert a skewer in the cake; if it
comes out clean, the cake is done.
16. Cool for 2 hours inverted on neck part of a coke bottle or by propping the
edges of the pan on inverted drinking glasses.