THREE LEAF SALAD
(Shared by Susie Quon & Terri Wemett)
1 head romaine lettuce
1 head red leaf lettuce
1⁄2 lb. baby spinach
2 cups mandarin orange segments (canned or fresh)
1-1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
1⁄2 lb. bacon, cooked, drained & crumbled
1⁄2 medium red onion, diced or thinly sliced
Dressing-mix and chill the following:
1⁄4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 tsp. grated onion
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. dried mustard
1 tsp. poppy seeds
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sesame seeds
Toss salad ingredients with appropriate amount of dressing and serve.
Note: Choice of greens can be exchanged.
Dr. Weil’s raw kale salad
(recipe featured in Whole Living)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil*
- 1/4 cup lemon juice*
- 3 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 bunches Tuscan kale (about 14 oz), ribs removed and leaves sliced into 1/4-inch shreds*
- 1/2 cup finely grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus shavings for garnish
- 2 Tbsp whole wheat breadcrumbs, toasted (optional)
In a large bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper flakes. Add kale and toss to coat. Let sit at room temperature for 10 to 30 minutes.
Add grated cheese and breadcrumbs and toss.
Garnish with shaved cheese before serving. Cover and refrigerate leftovers up to two days.
*Notes: I used equal parts olive oil and lemon juice to make the dressing and only needed ¼ c. total. I also used baby kale leaves which don’t need trimming.
(For a printable version, click here)
Gingered Fresh Fruit Salad
(from the kitchen of Judy Lim)
As pretty as a tropical paradise, this blend of melon, pineapple, and more has a tangy-sweet honey-lime dressing.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 8 servings (3/4 cup each)
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1 teaspoon chopped crystallized ginger
• 1/4 teaspoon grated lime peel
• 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 1 cup watermelon cubes
• 1 cup cantaloupe cubes
• 2 cups fresh pineapple cubes
• 1 cup seedless green grapes
• 1 pint (2 cups) fresh raspberries
1. In 1-cup microwavable measuring cup, mix dressing ingredients. Microwave uncovered on High 20 to
30 seconds or until hot. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
2. In very large bowl, mix salad ingredients. Pour dressing over fruit; toss gently to coat.
Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwiches
(from the kitchen of Kathy Ma)
Purchase a package of Southwest Chicken Salad at Costco – you find it in the deli section
Add 3 stalks of diced celery
Add 1 c. chopped craisins
Add 1 c. chopped nuts (pecans)
Mix everything together and spread on croissants or bread.